[Python-Dev] Stop using timeit, use perf.timeit!

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 18:06:31 EDT 2016

Hi,

<python-dev at python.org>:
> Hi all, I wrote a blog post about this.
> http://blog.kevmod.com/2016/06/benchmarking-minimum-vs-average/

Oh nice, it's even better to have different articles to explain the
problem of using the minimum ;-) It added it to my doc.

> We can rule out any argument that one (minimum or average) is strictly
> better than the other, since there are cases that make either one better.
> It comes down to our expectation of the underlying distribution.

Ah? In which cases do you prefer to use the minimum? Are you able to
get reliable benchmark results when using the minimum?

> Victor if you could calculate the sample skewness of your results I think
> that would be very interesting!

I'm good to copy/paste code, but less to compute statistics :-) Would
be interesed to write a pull request, or at least to send me a
function computing the expected value?
https://github.com/haypo/perf

Victor