[Python-Dev] writing to /dev/*random [was: BDFL ruling request: should we block ...]

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Jun 11 20:28:16 EDT 2016

On 06/11/2016 05:16 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Use a Raspberry-Pi, or other advanced expensive<wink/> hardware.
> There's no real excuse for not having a hardware generator if the Pi
> has one!

Intel CPUs added the RDRAND instruction as of Ivy Bridge, although
there's an ongoing debate as to whether or not it's a suitable source of
entropy to use for seeding urandom.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RdRand#Reception

Wikipedia goes on to describe the very-new RDSEED instruction which
might be more suitable.

//arry/