[Python-Dev] BDFL ruling request: should we block forever waiting for high-quality random bits?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Jun 12 21:53:54 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> P.S.  BTW, I probably won't change the behaviour of /dev/urandom to
> make it be blocking.  Before I found out about Pyhton Bug #26839, I
> actually had patches that did make /dev/urandom blocking, and they
> were planned to for the next kernel merge window.  But ultimately, the
> reason why I won't is because there is a set of real users (Debian
> Stretch users on Amazon AWS and Google GCE) for which if I changed how
> /dev/urandom worked, then I would be screwing them over, even if
> Python 3.5.2 falls back to /dev/urandom.  It's not a problem for bare
> metal hardware and cloud systems with virtio-rng; I have patches that
> will take care of those scenarios.
>
> Unfortunately, both AWS and GCE don't support virtio-rng currently,
> and as much as some poeple are worried about the hypothetical problems
> of stupidly written/deployed Python scripts that try to generate
> long-term secrets during early boot, weighed against the very real
> prospect of user lossage on two of the most popular Cloud environments
> out there --- it's simply no contest.

Speaking of full-stack perspectives, would it affect your decision if
Debian Stretch were made robust against blocking /dev/urandom on
AWS/GCE? Because I think we could find lots of people who would be
overjoyed to fix Stretch before the next merge window even opens
(AFAICT the quick fix is literally a 1 line patch), if that allowed
the blocking /dev/urandom patches to go in upstream...

(It looks like Jessie isn't affected, because while Jessie does
provide a systemd-cron package for those who decide to install it,
Jessie's systemd-cron is still using python2, python2 doesn't have
hash randomization so it doesn't touch /dev/urandom at startup, and
systemd-cron doesn't have any code that would trigger access to
/dev/urandom otherwise. It looks like Xenial *is* affected, because
they ship systemd-cron with python3, but their python3 is still
unconditionally using getrandom() in blocking mode, so they need to
patch that regardless, and could just as easily make it robust against
blocking /dev/urandom at the same time. I don't understand the RPM
world as well, but I can't find any evidence that Fedora or SuSE ship
systemd-cron at all.)

-n