[Python-Dev] PEP 468

Franklin? Lee leewangzhong+python at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 03:47:56 EDT 2016

Compact OrderedDicts can leave gaps, and once in a while compactify. For
example, whenever the entry table is full, it can decide whether to resize
(and only copy non-gaps), or just compactactify

Compact regular dicts can swap from the back and have no gaps.

I don't see the point of discussing these details. Isn't it enough to say
that these are solvable problems, which we can worry about if/when someone
actually decides to sit down and implement compact dicts?

P.S.: Sorry about the repeated emails. I think it was the iOS Gmail app.

On Jun 13, 2016 10:23 PM, "Ethan Furman" <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 06/13/2016 05:47 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
>>
>> On 06/13/2016 05:05 PM, MRAB wrote:
>

>>> This could be avoided by expanding the items to include the index of
>>> the 'previous' and 'next' item, so that they could be handled like a
>>> doubly-linked list.
>>>
>>> The disadvantage would be that it would use more memory.
>>

>> Another, easier technique: don't fill holes.  Same disadvantage
>> (increased memory use), but easier to write and maintain.
>

> I hope this is just an academic discussion: suddenly having Python's
dicts grow continuously is going to have nasty consequences somewhere.