[Python-Dev] proposed os.fspath() change

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:39:03 EDT 2016

My proposal at the point of the first PEP draft solved both of these issues.

That version of the fspath function passed anything right through that
was an instance of the keyword-only `type_constraint`. If not, it
would ask __fspath__, and before returning the result, it would check
that __fspath__ returned an instance of `type_constraint` and
otherwise raise a TypeError. `type_constraint=object` would then have
given the behavior you want. I always wanted fspath to spare the
caller from all the instance checking (most of which it does even
now).

The main problem with setting type_constraint to something broader
than (str, bytes) is that then that parameter would affect the return
type of the function, which would at least complicate the type hinting
issue. Mypy might now support things like

@overload
def fspath(path: T, type_constraint: Type[T] = (str, bytes)) -> T: ...

but then again, isinstance and Union are not compatible (for a
reason?), and PEP484 for a reason does not allow tuples like (str,
bytes) in place of Unions.

Anyway, if we were to go back to this behavior, we would need to
decide whether to officially allow a wider type constraint or whether
to leave that to Stack Overflow, so to speak.

-- Koos

+ Koos Zevenhoven + http://twitter.com/k7hoven +