[Python-Dev] BDFL ruling request: should we block forever waiting for high-quality random bits?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jun 16 04:22:20 EDT 2016

On Jun 16, 2016, at 07:26 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

>Which is a contract change. Someone testing in E.g. a chroot could have a
>different device on /dev/urandom, and now they will need to intercept
>syscalls for the same effect. Personally I think this is fine, but assuming
>i see Barry's point correctly, it is indeed but the same as it was.

It's true there could be a different device on /dev/urandom, but by my reading
of the getrandom() manpage I think that *should* be transparent since

    By default, getrandom() draws entropy from the /dev/urandom pool.  This
    behavior can be changed via the flags argument.

and we don't pass the GRND_RANDOM flag to getrandom().

Cheers,
-Barry