[Python-Dev] Discussion overload

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jun 18 21:17:03 EDT 2016

Over on the "security SIG" thread, the point has been made that we seem to
be hitting some limits in communication (Steve Dower said written
communication, Guido said mailing lists/newsgroups). Based on the burnout
we are seeing from these centi-threads we need to try and come up with some
solution to this problem, else we are heading towards a bad place sue to
communication burn-out.

For me, I don't think we can give up written communication thanks to how
worldwide we all are and thus make scheduling some monthly video chat very
difficult. What I would like to consider, though, is something like
Discourse where we at least have a chance to have tools available to us to
manage discussions better than through federated email where everyone has
different experiences in terms of delivery rate, ability to filter,
splitting discussions, locking down out-of-control discussions, etc. I
think harmonizing the experience along with better controls could help make
all of this more manageable.