[Python-Dev] New OpenSSL - has anyone ever looked at (in)compatibility with LibreSSL

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 06:21:11 EDT 2016

> On 15 Mar 2016, at 01:08, Jim Baker <jim.baker at python.org> wrote:
>
> I have no vested interest in this, other than the continuing work we have done to make Jython compatible with OpenSSL's model, warts and all.
>
> But the fact that BoringSSL cleans up the OpenSSL API (https://boringssl.googlesource.com/boringssl/+/HEAD/PORTING.md), at the cost of possible backwards breaking API changes looks reasonable. I suppose there is some risk - perhaps the maintainers will decide that returning 1 should mean OK, but that's not going to happen, is it. The real issue here is that no direct exposure of BoringSSL to other packages. I don't think that happens with CPython. (Ironically it happens with Jython, due to how signed jars poorly interact with shading/Java namespace remapping.)
>
> Maintaining security means dealing with the inevitable churn. Did I mention Jython's support of Python-compatible SSL? I think I did :p

It is *possible* to support BoringSSL: curl does. However, the BoringSSL developers *really* only target Chromium when they consider the possibility of breakage, so it costs curl quite a bit of development time[0]. curl accepts that cost because it supports every TLS stack under the sun: given that CPython currently supports exactly one, widening it to two is a very big risk indeed.

Cory

[0]: See https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/275, https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/524, https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/640