[Python-Dev] What does a double coding cookie mean?

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 03:14:05 EDT 2016

On 16.03.16 02:28, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I agree that the spirit of the PEP is to stop at the first coding
> cookie found. Would it be okay if I updated the PEP to clarify this?
> I'll definitely also update the docs.

Could you please also update the regular expression in PEP 263 to

Coding cookie must be in comment, only the first occurrence in the line
must be taken to account (here is a bug in CPython), encoding name must
be ASCII, and there must not be any Python statement on the line that
contains the encoding declaration. [1]

[1] https://bugs.python.org/issue18873