[Python-Dev] What does a double coding cookie mean?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Mar 17 13:23:00 EDT 2016

On 17.03.2016 15:02, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> On 17.03.16 15:14, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> On 17.03.2016 01:29, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> Should we recommend that everyone use tokenize.detect_encoding()?
>>
>> I'd prefer a separate utility for this somewhere, since
>> tokenize.detect_encoding() is not available in Python 2.
>>
>> I've attached an example implementation with tests, which works
>> in Python 2.7 and 3.
>
> Sorry, but this code doesn't match the behaviour of Python interpreter,
> nor other tools. I suggest to backport tokenize.detect_encoding() (but
> be aware that the default encoding in Python 2 is ASCII, not UTF-8).

Yes, I got the default for Python 3 wrong. I'll fix that. Thanks
for the note.

What other aspects are different than what Python implements ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Mar 17 2016)
2016-03-07: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.14 ... http://egenix.com/go89
2016-02-19: Released eGenix PyRun 2.1.2 ...       http://egenix.com/go88

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/