[Python-Dev] PEP 515: Underscores in Numeric Literals (revision 3)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Mar 19 13:35:41 EDT 2016

So should the preprocessing step just be s.replace('_', ''), or should
it reject underscores that don't follow the rules from the PEP
(perhaps augmented so they follow the spirit of the PEP and the letter
of the IBM spec)?

Honestly I think it's also fine if specifying this exactly is left out
of the PEP, and handled by whoever adds this to Decimal. Having a PEP
to work from for the language spec and core builtins (int(), float()
complex()) is more important.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:
>> I don't care too much either way, but I think passing underscores to the
> constructor shouldn't be affected by the context -- the underscores are just
> removed before parsing the number. But if it's too complicated to implement
> I'm fine with punting.
>
> Just removing the underscores would be fine. The problem is that per
> the PEP the conversion should happen according the Python float grammar
> but the actual decimal grammar is the one from the IBM specification.
>
> I'd much rather express the problem like you did above: A preprocessing
> step followed by the IBM specification grammar.
>

> Stefan Krah

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)