[Python-Dev] Counting references to Py_None

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Mar 21 17:42:46 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 20 March 2016 at 18:10, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> And if we didn't keep its count accurately it would eventually hit
> zero and constantly have its dealloc function checked for.

I think the idea is really consistency.  If we wanted to avoid all
"Py_INCREF(Py_None);", it would be possible: we could let the refcount
of None decrement to zero, at which point its deallocator is called;
but this deallocator can simply bumps the refcount to a large value
again.  The deallocator would end up being called very rarely.

A bientôt,

Armin.