[Python-Dev] Bug in 2to3 concerning import statements?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun May 1 19:42:35 EDT 2016

Brett Cannon wrote:

> There's all sorts of weird stuff going on in that import, like having a
> dot in the `from` part of the import instead of doing `from .py2exe
> import mf as modulefinder`.

If I did that, it would try to import mf from the
py2exe submodule rather than the global one.

In hindsight it was probably a bad idea to name
the submodule py2exe, but the code worked as
intended.

My point is that, regardless of anything else,
2to3 shouldn't be generating syntactically
incorrect code. I can understand if it's not
considered worth fixing, but it's still a bug.

--
Greg