[Python-Dev] Tracker Etiquette

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 8 07:58:02 EDT 2016

On 8 May 2016 at 20:56, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 04:06:51PM -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> I just reviewed an issue on the tracker, and found that many, if not
>> all, of my comments made at the time I completely disagree with (both
>> now, and before -- I'm going to claim sleep deprivation).
>>
>> Obviously I should post a new comment explaining my thoughts about the
>> issue, but what should I do with the old comments?  Is it acceptable to
>> delete them?
>
> My preference would be not to delete them. Certainly don't delete them
> if others have explicitly replied to them. Even if you no longer agree
> with the conclusion, there may be something of value in the comments.

I generally only delete mine if I've posted to the wrong issue (which
happens sometimes if I have multiple issues open and lose track of
which tab is which).

For other discussions, I figure realising I'd made a mistake on my own
isn't that different from someone else replying to point out the error
- I'm sure there a few tracker comments floating around from
Nick-of-several-hours-later suggesting that
Nick-of-several-hours-earlier probably shouldn't be commenting on
tracker issues when he's in dire need of sleep ;)

Cheers,
Nick.