[Python-Dev] file system path protocol PEP

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:44:36 EDT 2016

On 11.05.16 19:43, Brett Cannon wrote:
> os.path
> '''''''
>
> The various path-manipulation functions of ``os.path`` [#os-path]_
> will be updated to accept path objects. For polymorphic functions that
> accept both bytes and strings, they will be updated to simply use
> code very much similar to
> ``path.__fspath__() if  hasattr(path, '__fspath__') else path``. This
> will allow for their pre-existing type-checking code to continue to
> function.

I afraid that this will hit a performance. Some os.path functions are
used in tight loops, they are hard optimized, and adding support of path
protocol can have visible negative effect.

I suggest first implement other changes and then look whether it is
worth to add support of path protocol in os.path functions.