[Python-Dev] file system path protocol PEP

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Thu May 12 04:04:42 EDT 2016

On 12.05.2016 00:13, Brett Cannon wrote:
> I see this whole discussion breaking down into a few groups which
> changes what gets done upfront and what might be done farther down the
> line:
>
>  1. Maximum acceptance: do whatever we can to make all representation
>     of paths just work, which means making all places working with a
>     path in the stdlib accept path objects, str, and bytes.
>  2. Safely use path objects: __fspath__() is there to signal an object
>     is a file system path and to get back a lower-level representation
>     so people stop calling str() on everything, providing some
>     interface signaling that someone doesn't misuse an object as a
>     path and only changing path consumptions APIs -- e.g. open() --
>     and not path manipulation APIs -- e.g. os.path -- in the stdlib.
>  3. It ain't worth it: those that would rather just skip all of this
>     and drop pathlib from the stdlib.

Sorry for being picky here. I think the last group needs to be split up:

3. It ain't worth it: those that would rather just skip all of this
4. drop pathlib from the stdlib.

I put myself into camp 3, mostly because I don't consider the "wallet
garden problem" a problem at all and I realized that our past issues
with pathlib resulted from missing features in pathlib not in the rest
of the stdlib.

Sven