[Python-Dev] file system path protocol PEP

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri May 13 05:46:12 EDT 2016

On 05/12/2016 05:42 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> And even given all that, for smoother interoperability with the rest
> of the stdlib, or at least the os.* portion, those functions would
> still need to be upgraded to check for .path on the incoming arguments
> -- at which point we may as well make a protocol to properly support
> file system paths instead of relying on the rather generic attribute
> name of 'path'.

FWIW, this shouldn't be very difficult.  Paths are already complicated
enough that the parsing has been factored out into a PyArg_Parse
"converter" called path_converter.  path_converter isn't used everywhere
in posixmodule yet, but it would probably make sense to convert
everything to use it anyway.  And then we would only need to implement
Path object support once.  It's remotely possible that converting
functions to use path_converter will create slight incompatibilities
(though I don't know how, this is just FUD really) so 3.6 would be a
good opportunity to make this change.

Optimistically,

//arry/