[Python-Dev] file system path protocol PEP

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Fri May 13 05:48:33 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:
> On 13.05.2016 10:36, Koos Zevenhoven wrote:
>>
>> This has just been discussed very recently in this thread (and earlier
>> too).
>

> Could you point me to that? It seems I missed that part. I only found posts
> related to performance degradation.

This issue is coupled with the future optimization questions.

> However, the proposed semantics will change if the checks are swapped. So,
> my actual question is:
>
> Is that an intended API inconsistency or a known bug supposed to be resolved
> later?

Taking into account the description (and the drafted type hint), which
the documentation will probably reflect, the semantic effects of that
are very minor or nonexistent.

I do think the documentation of the protocol should say that str or
bytes subclasses should not implement __fspath__.

So no API inconsistency there.

-- Koos