[Python-Dev] file system path protocol PEP

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:52:20 EDT 2016

On 13 May 2016 at 17:06, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:
> As far as I remember, one goal of this proposal was to avoid wallet gardens.
> During the lengthy discussion on python-ideas people brought up that some
> third-party libs indeed subclass from str. They are currently locked out.

Hardly. Libraries that subclass from str will provide their string
representation precisely by being (a subclass of) a string. So they
don't need the __fspath__ protocol, and can continue to work exactly
as now.

This PEP merely provides the same capability for libraries that prefer
*not* to subclass str.
Paul