[Python-Dev] Why does PEP 7/8 explicitly suggest 2 spaces after a period?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri May 20 12:45:04 EDT 2016

On 05/20/2016 09:27 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> Is there a specific reason for calling out two spaces in comments after
> a period(I realize it's probably for consistency, but I sure don't ever
> think about this when I write comment)? Otherwise who actually still
> writes using two spaces after punctuation? :)

I do!!  :)

The period is a full-stop punctuation mark, but visually obscure [1].
The two spaces reinforces its full-stop nature [2].

white-space-matters-ly yrs,

--
~Ethan~

[1] I'm pretty sure "obscure" is not the word I want, but it's  close.

[2] No, I'm not happy with the decision to drop to one space after a
     period in modern grammar [3].

[3] At least, at the colleges my daughter has attended.