[Python-Dev] Removing the provisional label from pathlib

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 20 12:56:00 EDT 2016

Let's start in 3.6 with all this. I added path to 3.4 because I didn't
realize it was in security-mode only. I've now undone all my work
there. Let's not disturb it again, not even its docs.

I don't think there's an "upstream" repo for pathlib (like there still
is for asyncio) and I don't think there's much of a point in
supporting __fspath__ in pathlib if there's no os.fspath(). It would
only encourage hackery in apps that want to play with __fspath__.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Three questions:
>
> Should pathlib gain __fspath__() all the way back to 3.4?
> Should pathlib's constructor support __fspath__() all the way back to 3.4?
> (separate question as os.fspath() will only be in 3.6; and if we backport
> I'm not looking forward to making Typeshed happy w/o os.PathLike being
> available only in 3.6 :/)
> Should the docs from 3.4 and forward reflect the removal of the provisional
> status? (I assume yes, but wanted to double-check)
>
> And a quick thanks to Guido for removing `path` from pathlib for me already.
> :)

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)