[Python-Dev] Removing the provisional label from pathlib

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon May 23 13:13:51 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016, 09:55 Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

>> WFM. I'll let 3.4 and 3.5 just stay as they are and make all PEP 519
>> changes a 3.6 thing.
>>

> I'd like to see it in 3.5 if we could do that -- that'll be available for
> operational code a lot sooner than 3.6, and it's still in active
> maintenance mode, yes?

3.5 is still getting bugfixes:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/#status-of-python-branches

As for backporting __fspath__() for pathlib, you can easily write your own
subclass that adds it. And since the stdlib won't be updated in 3.5 for
consumption of fspath you're only missing out on production which your
subclass can take care of.

-brett