[Python-Dev] runtime dlls on Windows

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed May 25 15:29:48 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

The standard build of Py3.5 for Windows is built with VS2015 (correct??)
And it includes the runtime dlls it needs.

However, we've found that wxPython wheels for win32 (not sure about win64)
also need:

MSVCP140.DLL

So: wxPython could include that of course, But it looks like it's getting
included with the Matplotlib wheels already (so folks with Matplotlib can
run wx....). I'm just guessing, but this looks like the standard run time
for C++ with that compiler.

Python itself doesn't use C++, of course, but maybe we should include that
dll with Python anyway -- that way folks can build wheels of packages with
C++ extensions  in the normal way, and those wheels will "just work", and
we don't have to have every individual package ship the same dll.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov