[Python-Dev] New hash algorithms: SHA3, SHAKE, BLAKE2, truncated SHA512

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 27 07:13:05 EDT 2016

On 27.05.2016 13:03, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> On May 27, 2016, at 6:54 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>
>> IMO, relying on OpenSSL is a better strategy than providing
>> (and maintaining) our own compatibility versions. Until OpenSSL
>> has them, people can use Björn's package:
>
> Even now, hashlib doesn’t rely on OpenSSL if I recall, I mean it will
> use it if OpenSSL is available but otherwise it has internal implementations
> too.

I know, but still don't think that's a good idea. It makes
sense in case you don't want to carry around OpenSSL all the
time, but how often does that happen nowadays ?

BTW: If I recall correctly, those hash implementations predate
the deeper support for OpenSSL we now have in Python.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, May 27 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/