[Python-Dev] New hash algorithms: SHA3, SHAKE, BLAKE2, truncated SHA512

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 27 18:08:38 EDT 2016

On 27.05.2016 23:46, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> On May 27, 2016, at 5:41 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>
>> If we add this now, there should at least be an exit strategy
>> to remove the code again, when OpenSSL ships with the same
>> code, IMO.
>
> I think it is a clear win to have the fallback implementations in cases where people either don’t have OpenSSL or don’t have a new enough OpenSSL for those implementations. Not having the fallback just makes it more difficult for people to rely on those hash functions.

This will only be needed once the stdlib itself starts requiring
support for some of these hashes and for that we could add
a pure Python implementation, eg.

https://github.com/coruus/py-keccak

In all other cases, you can simply add the support via a
package such as Björn's or Christian's.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, May 27 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/