[Python-Dev] New hash algorithms: SHA3, SHAKE, BLAKE2, truncated SHA512

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sat May 28 17:01:35 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-27 09:41, Chris Barker wrote:
> I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but couldn't we swap in the
> OpenSSL implementation when that becomes available?

No, not any time soon. As soon as we guarantee SHA3 support we have to
keep our own implementation for a couple of additional releases. We can
drop our own SHA3 code as soon as all supported OpenSSL versions have SHA3.

For example when OpenSSL 1.2.0 is going to have SHA3 support, we must
wait until OpenSSL 1.1 and 1.0.2 are no longer supported by OpenSSL.

Christian