[Python-Dev] Adding NewType() to PEP 484

cs at zip.com.au cs at zip.com.au
Sat May 28 19:24:23 EDT 2016

On 28May2016 08:19, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
>Did anyone suggest "distinct type alias"?
>
>Regardless of what name, I'm fairly sure people will call it whatever the
>function to create it is called. So if the function is
>typings.distinguish_type(...), then distinguished will stick.

Just casting an opinion in support of Greg Ewing's remark: I don't think we
should use the word "alias", regardless of what else is used.

In <5748FB66.7090107 at canterbury.ac.nz>, Greg said:

  Steven D'Aprano wrote:
  > TypeAlias? Because A is an alias for int?
  That suggests it's just another name for the same type, but it's not. It's a
  distinct type as far as the static type checker is concerned

and I agree entirely.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>