[Python-Dev] Adding NewType() to PEP 484

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 29 13:54:39 EDT 2016

On 5/29/2016 12:57 PM, jon wrote:

> The aspects we want to capture in a name or adjective for these types are:
>
> a) The types have identical implementations or definitions.
> b) They are distinct types.
>
> I think “Distinguished Type” or”Cloned Type” best captures these qualities.

'Cloned Type' conveys the meaning above, "Distinguished Type' does not,
unless one knows what it us supposed to mean.  One meaning is 'distinct
because superior (or inferior)'.

> I think the following also capture the quality, but feel a bit pejorative.
>
> "Segregated Type"
> "Arbitrary Type"

Things are segregated because they are thought to be different.
'Arbitrary' means that it could be anything ;-).

--
Terry Jan Reedy