[Python-Dev] Benchmarks: Comparison between Python 2.7 and Python 3.6 performance

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Nov 7 14:20:57 EST 2016

Re:
https://speed.python.org/timeline/#/?exe=4&ben=python_startup&env=1&revs=50&equid=off&quarts=on&extr=on

That's suspiciously close to the core sprint. Since the -S time stayed
roughly the same I suspect that either a new module was added to the
startup sequence or one of the (too many) modules already involved grew a
lot. My money is on a new module. Using `python -v -c pass` on a Python
built from the Sept. 9 tree and one built from Sept. 15, it shouldn't be
too hard to figure out which new module(s).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)