[Python-Dev] 3.6 branch now open only for 3.6.0 release critical fixes and doc updates!

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Tue Nov 22 02:24:37 EST 2016

On Nov 22, 2016, at 02:02, Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:
> On behalf of the Python development community and the Python 3.6 release
> team, I'm pleased to announce the availability of Python 3.6.0b4. 3.6.0b4
> is the last planned beta release of Python 3.6, the next major release of
> Python. [...]

OK, all of the release engineering for 3.6.0b4 is complete.  The 3.6 branch in the cpython repo is now available again but, as noted, *only* for reviewed release critical fixes appropriate for the 3.6.0 final and for final 3.6.0 doc updates!

Again, until 3.6.0rc1 is tagged, scheduled to happen in two weeks on 2016-12-05, please do *not* push non release-critical code of any kind to the 3.6 branch; after rc1 is tagged, the 3.6 branch will be open for 3.6.1 changes.  Please use these two weeks to thoroughly review and, as necessary, update the What's New In Python 3.6 document (thanks, Elvis and Yuri, for editing it once again!) and all other release documentation.

Any additional testing you can do and/or encourage others to do of the new and old components of 3.6 and with with third-party packages will be appreciated.  Please document anything you think *might* be a release critical problem in the bug tracker marking them as "release blocker".  Assuming no unresolved release critical problems arise, the final two steps will be the release candidate in 2 weeks and then, again assuming no release critical problems are identified in it, the final release on 12-16.

Please contact me if you have any questions about what may or may not be appropriate to push during these final days before the release.

So close!

--Ned

--
  Ned Deily