[Python-Dev] [Python-ideas] Show more info when `python -vV`

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 17 15:05:45 EDT 2016

On Oct 17, 2016, at 05:01 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>* Inada-san would like to enable "python -VV" to print the full REPL
>header for improved debugging information
>* we don't want to mess with "-V" because external scripts may be
>relying on it (e.g. to figure out filenames)
>* "python -VV" is already permitted, but just means the same thing as
>"python -V"
>
>I think this is a good idea

So do I.

>, but this is a CPython-the-implementation feature, rather than a
>Python-the-language feature, so it isn't clear what rules apply to adding it.

Certainly add it to 3.7.  I think the decision whether to add it to 3.6 and
the stable releases should be up to the respective release managers.  As you
say, it's not a language feature, but it's still a new feature and as such it
does fall within a gray area.

I'd personally have no problem with adding it to 3.6 and possibly earlier
stable releases, but I'm not an RM of any active releases any more.  I'd say,
open a bug, post the patch against the versions you want to see it applied to,
go through the review process, and let the RMs decide if its worth the risk.

Cheers,
-Barry