[Python-Dev] Have I got my hg dependencies correct?

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:43:31 EDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Skip Montanaro
<skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Are you on the 2.7 branch or the default branch?
>>
>> You might try to cleanup your checkout:
>>
>> hg up -C -r 2.7
>> make distclean
>> hg purge # WARNING! it removes *all* files not tracked by Mercurial
>> ./configure && make
>>
>> You should also paste the full error message.
>
> I am on the 2.7 branch. My tree looks like this:
>
> ~/src/hgpython/
>                cpython
>                3.6
>                3.5
>                3.4
>                3.3
>                3.2
>                2.7
>
> As I indicated, the cpython repo pulls from the central repo. The 3.6 and
> 2.7 branches pull from cpython. The other 3.x branches pull from the 3.x+1
> branch.
>
> Sorry, I no longer have the error message. I wasn't thinking in the correct
> order, and executed the suggested hg purge command before retrieving the
> error message from my build.out file.
>
> In any case, there seemed to be something about the hg up command:
>
> % hg up -C -r 2.7
> 6 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
>
> A plain hg up command didn't update any files. Looking at
> 2.7/Makefile.pre.in, I see it now has the necessary target for _math.o. That
> must have been one of the six updated files.
>
> Is there some deficiency in a plain hg update command which suggests I
> should always use the more complex command you suggested? It's not a huge
> deal typing-wise, as I use a shell script to rebuild my world, doing the
> necessary work to update and build each branch.

Sounds like you had an unexpected patch to Makefile.pre.in (and 5
other files) which broke things.  Plain `hg update` will try to keep
any changes in your working directory intact, whereas `hg update -C`
blows away any changes to tracked files.

--
Zach