[Python-Dev] Adding bytes.frombuffer() constructor to PEP 467 (was: [Python-ideas] Adding bytes.frombuffer() constructor

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 03:25:50 EDT 2016

On 25 October 2016 at 02:53, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> IS this na either-or? IF someone is proposing a nice lib for "low level data
> buffer
> manipulation", then yes, putting frombuffer() in there would be a fine idea.
>
> But if there is no such proposal on the table, then I think adding a
> frombuffer method to the bytes object is a small improvement that we can do
> now.

The suggestion came from folks working on asyncio performance
improvements, and we already got the entire ``selectors`` abstraction
from the original asyncio implementation work, as well as Yury's new
libuv-based ``uvloop`` asyncio event loop implementation.

Given that "make OpenStack/SDN/NFV run faster" is a key point of
interest for folks like Intel and Red Hat, I'm *absolutely* suggesting
that they put some paid time and energy into a lower level buffer
manipulation library between now and the Python 3.7 feature freeze in
12+ months, as I think that will have longer term pay-offs well beyond
the scope of the original use cases :)

Cheers,
Nick.