[Python-Dev] Patch reviews

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sun Sep 4 06:57:41 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-01 23:15, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> https://bugs.python.org/issue27744
>> Add AF_ALG (Linux Kernel crypto) to socket module
>
> This patch adds a new socket.sendmsg_afalg() method on Linux.
>
> "afalg" comes from AF_ALG which means "Address Family Algorithm". It's
> documented as "af_alg: User-space algorithm interface" in
> crypto/af_alg.c.
>
> IHMO the method should be just "sendmsg_alg()", beacuse "afalg" is
> redundant. The AF_ prefix is only used to workaround a C limitation:
> there is no namespace in the language, all symbols are in one single
> giant namespace.
>
> I don't expect that a platform will add a new sendmsg_alg() C
> function. If it's the case, we will see how to handle the name
> conflict ;-)

Hi,

afalg is pretty much the standard name for Linux Kernel crypto. For
example OpenSSL 1.1.0 introduced a crypto engine to offload AES. The
engine is called 'afalg' [1]. Other documentations refer to the
interface as either afalg or AF_ALG, too. I prefer to use an established
name for the method.

Christian

[1]
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/engines/afalg/e_afalg.c#L88