[Python-Dev] PEP 529: Change Windows filesystem encoding to UTF-8

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 8 16:05:17 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> It means that the so-called "bash" on windows 10 is actually a full
> Ubuntu system (running on, AIUI, a simulation of Linux kernel system
> calls), which will presumably also have its own python installation and
> use a UTF-8 locale, rather than one that runs "natively" on win32.

yes -- it looks like one could run a "linux" build of python under the
whole subsystem, which would presumably "look" jsu tlike LInux to Python.

> If it's possible for a win32 version of python to call it as a
> subprocess,

But this is what I was referring too -- it may be way to early to know what
the capabilities or implications are, but I'm hoping that "regular" windows
programs can interact with the subsystem. So if we're making changes now,
it would be nice to consider it if we can.

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/2, pipes didn't work
> at all between WSL processes and Win32 processes until two weeks ago, so
> it's clear that these features are still evolving.

so it may indeed be way to early -- but if they DO work now -- pretty cool!

Thanks,

   -CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov