[Python-Dev] Changes to PEP 498 (f-strings)

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Sep 9 22:04:06 EDT 2016

I found some time before beta 1 to modify the f-string code to implement
the desired behavior: no backslashes inside the curly braces, but
they're allowed in the literal string portions. I just checked it in.

I still need to update PEP 498, and the documentation needs updating.
I'll create an issue for the docs once I've updated the PEP.

This is a fairly large change, because now I need to parse the f-strings
in UTF-8, and do the decoding myself in pieces, instead of the previous
behavior of decoding the string first and then parsing it.

I think I have tests for all of the backslash scenarios, but I'll watch
the buildbots.

Eric.