[Python-Dev] sys.path file feature

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sat Sep 10 09:01:49 EDT 2016

The underscore is an appropriate rename here, but calling the file sys.path was too juicy :)

It's intended only for embedding on Windows and does not exist on Linux/Mac yet (more precisely, implementation is only in PC/getpathp.c). I chatted with some people about spreading it and there wasn't really enough interest yet - theoretical uses but not actual ones, whereas on Windows there are actual uses. If you have actual uses we can look more seriously at it, but right now it's more of a secret registry key that disables the registry.

As it is totally outside the language and very specific to a particular installation, support can easily be added at any time. Find my various write-ups on the embeddable distro for details on the use cases, but none of them affect regular Python developers.

Cheers,
Steve

Top-posted from my Windows Phone