[Python-Dev] Python 3.6 dict becomes compact and gets a private version; and keywords become ordered

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:29:53 EDT 2016

On 14 September 2016 at 13:18, Franklin? Lee
<leewangzhong+python at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2016 1:35 AM, "Benjamin Peterson" <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016, at 22:33, Tim Delaney wrote:
>> > Are sets also ordered by default now? None of the PEPs appear to mention
>> > it.
>>
>> No.
>
> Is there anyone working to move sets in the same direction for 3.6?

It won't happen for 3.6, as we're now in feature freeze. So it'd be
3.7 at the earliest.

What exactly do you mean by "in the same direction" anyway? Remember
that ordering isn't guaranteed (it's an implementation detail), so are
you just saying "can sets benefit from the improvements this change
provided to dicts"? If you *are* hoping for ordered sets, what's your
use case? (Dictionaries had particular use cases - retaining ordering
of keyword arguments and class definitions, the existence of
OrderedDict, ...)

Paul