[Python-Dev] Python 3.6 dict becomes compact and gets a private version; and keywords become ordered

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 18:50:42 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll improve OrderedDict after dict in 3.6 is stable enough.

+1  and if it's done carefully we could even utilize the pure Python
OrderedDict and get rid of odictobject.c (and fold dict-common.h back
into dictobject.c).  We'd need to leave the current implementation as
the fallback for implementations that don't have an ordered dict.
However, we'd first try a compact-dict-based variant.  Doing so would
probably require a new field in sys.implementation that indicates dict
is ordered.

> Then, I'll do same to sets.

Unless I've misunderstood, Raymond was opposed to making a similar
change to set.

-eric