[Python-Dev] cpython (3.6): replace usage of Py_VA_COPY with the (C99) standard va_copy

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:44:00 EDT 2016

> Just dump the compat macros in Python 4.0 I think.

Please don't. Python 3 was so painful because we decided to make
millions of tiny backward incompatible changes. To have a smooth
Python 4.0 release, we should only remove things which were already
deprecated since at least 2 cycles, and well documented as deprecated.

Note: The Gtk project has similar questions on backward compatibility ;-)
https://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2016/06/13/gtk-4-0-is-not-gtk-4/
(Migration to Gtk3 was also painful for developers, no?)

Victor