[Python-Dev] Code quality report

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sat Sep 24 09:05:19 EDT 2016

Hi,

here is a short code quality report. Overall we are in a good shape for
Python 3.6.0. I'm a bit worried about the amount of security bugs,
though. Some haven't progressed in more than a year.

Coverity Scan
-------------

3.6.0b1 added a bunch of new defects, most of them were false positives.
Python is down again to zero open defects (default branch on Linux X86_64).

total defects:		1,115
outstanding defects:	0
dismissed:		169
fixed:			946
https://scan.coverity.com/projects/python

C code coverage
---------------

I have updated my LCOV report (GCC on Linux X86_64). Our test coverage
is quite good.

line coverage:		81.9 %
function coverage:	92.5 %
https://tiran.bitbucket.io/python-lcov/

security bugs
-------------

I'm seeing 46 open security bugs on our bug tracker,
http://bit.ly/2cYWZy0 .

configure / compile warnings

Python configures and compiles without warnings with GCC on Linux
X86_64. Clang emits four warnings for unreachable code. All warnings are
harmless.

On i686 I'm still getting four warnings in the KeccakCodePackage (sha3),
https://bugs.python.org/issue28117.

Regards,
Christian