[Python-Dev] Sorting

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Wed Apr 5 20:30:06 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 01:36:38PM -0700, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> Just want to drop a note and say THANK YOU to everyone for the work in improving Python to the 3 branch.
>
> And if you're curious as to why:  I just spent three hours trying to figure
> out why my comparisons were succeeding when they should be raising
> exceptions -- and then remembered that in 2.x there's a fallback to
> comparing type names.
>
> Grrrr.  :/
>
> So, THANK YOU!!

   Sorry, let me pour a bit of cold water here. Recently I was busy
porting a few big and small (but complex) programs to Python 3 and was
sending thousands curses every day. str=>unicode is the biggest change
but not the most painful. The worst was when I spent few days hunting
for a subtle bug caused by absent of unbound methods.
   Painful. :-(

> --
> ~Ethan~

Oleg.