[Python-Dev] windows installer and python list mention

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Mon Apr 10 16:48:06 EDT 2017

On 10Apr2017 1032, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Apparently the Windows installer mentions asking for help on Python List.

Yay! People actually read some of that text in the installer :)

Currently the installer has the following message after you run a Repair
(from Tools/msi/bundle/Default.wxl):

 > Feel free to email <a
href="mailto:python-list at python.org">python-list at python.org</a> if you
continue to encounter issues.

And this message after you uninstall:

 > Feel free to email <a
href="mailto:python-list at python.org">python-list at python.org</a> if you
encountered problems.

> If accessing Python List directly via email it is necessary to subscribe
> first -- perhaps that could be mentioned? Bonus Python Points for
> mentioning the other methods that do not require subscribing.  :)

I wasn't aware of this - I'm sure I've emailed the list before without
it being rejected, and I'm certainly not subscribed. Is it a recent
change? Is it necessary?

I'd be happy to change these to point somewhere else, but the challenge
here is the installers are permanent - whatever we put in this message
can never change. Given this thread immediately entered uncertainty
about what other methods are actually working, I don't want to link to
any of them :)

Cheers,
Steve