[Python-Dev] [ANN] Daily Windows builds of Python 3.x

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 13:59:34 EDT 2017

On 8 August 2017 at 17:21, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
> For a while I've been uploading the official releases to nuget.org. These
> packages can be installed with nuget.exe (latest version always available at
> https://aka.ms/nugetclidl), which is quickly becoming a standard tool in
> Microsoft's build toolsets. It's very much a CI-focused package manager,
> rather than a user-focused one, and CI on Windows was previously an area
> where it was difficult to use Python.
>
> See the official feed at https://www.nuget.org/packages/python, and related
> packages pythonx86, python2 and python2x86.
>
> For people looking for an official "no installer" version of Python for
> Windows, this is it.

I've been aware of these builds for a while, but wasn't 100% sure of
the status of them. It would be really useful if they could be
publicised more widely - if for no other reason than to steer people
towards these rather than the embedded distribution when these are
more appropriate.

But regardless of that minor point, the availability of these builds
is really nice.

> And since all the infrastructure was there already, I decided to publish
> daily builds in a similar way to myget.org:
>
>     https://www.myget.org/feed/python/package/nuget/pythondaily
>
> To install the latest daily build, run nuget.exe with this command:
>
>     nuget.exe pythondaily -Source
> https://www.myget.org/F/python/api/v3/index.json
>
> (Note that if you already have a "pythondaily" package in that directory,
> nuget will consider the requirement satisfied. As I said, it's meant for
> reproducible CI builds rather than users who want to update things in the
> least amount of keystrokes :) )
>
> The sys.version string contains the short commit hash. Please include this
> string when reporting bugs in these builds. Also, only the amd64 Release
> build is available pre-built.
>
>     >>> sys.version
>     '3.7.0a0 (remotes/origin/master:733d0f63c, Aug  8 2017, 15:56:14) [MSC
> v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)]'
>
> Hopefully this is valuable for people who want to include daily builds in
> their own test runs or validate recent bug fixes.

Nice! I can imagine these being a really useful resource for people
wanting to (say) test against the development version in their
Appveyor builds.

Thanks for putting the effort into producing these :-)
Paul