[Python-Dev] Interrupt thread.join() with Ctrl-C / KeyboardInterrupt on Windows

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Tue Aug 8 17:29:41 EDT 2017

On 08Aug2017 1151, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> It looks like Thread.join ultimately ends up blocking in
> Python/thread_nt.h:EnterNonRecursiveMutex, which has a maze of #ifdefs
> behind it -- I think there are 3 different implementation you might
> end up with, depending on how CPython was built? Two of them seem to
> ultimately block in WaitForSingleObject, which would be easy to adapt
> to handle control-C. Unfortunately I think the implementation that
> actually gets used on modern systems is the one that blocks in
> SleepConditionVariableSRW, and I don't see any easy way for a
> control-C to interrupt that. But maybe I'm missing something -- I'm
> not a Windows expert.

I'd have to dig back through the recent attempts at changing this, but I
believe the SleepConditionVariableSRW path is unused for all versions of
Windows.

A couple of people (including myself) attempted to enable that code
path, but it has some subtle issues that were causing test failures, so
we abandoned all the attempts. Though ISTR that someone put in more
effort than most of us, but I don't think we've merged it (and if we
have, it'd only be in 3.7 at this stage).

Cheers,
Steve