[Python-Dev] PEP 550 v3 naming

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 01:17:15 EDT 2017

On 22 August 2017 at 10:02, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Yury Selivanov wrote:
>>
>> I can certainly see how "ContextFrame" can be correct if we think
>> about "frame" as a generic term, but in Python, people will
>> inadvertently think about a connection with frame objects/stacks.
>
> Calling it ExecutionContextFrame rather than just ContextFrame
> would make it clear that it relates to ExecutionContexts in
> particular.

Please, no - it's already hard enough to help people internalise
sync/async design concepts without also introducing ambiguity into the
meaning of terms like locals & frame. Instead, let's leave those as
purely referring to their existing always-synchronous concepts and
find another suitable term for the dynamically nested read/write
mappings making up the ExecutionContext :)

Cheers,
Nick.