[Python-Dev] PEP 550 v3 naming

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:14:04 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> In favor of ImplicitContext is one point: it is indeed "implicit" if you
> compare it with the "explicit" way of passing state around, which would
> require an extra argument containing the state for any function that uses
> the state *or calls a function that uses the state* (recursively).

This is a good point, now I understand the reasoning better.

I guess I'm looking at this from a perspective of PEP 550 users.  They
will use either ContextKey-like API described in the PEP now, or
something similar to threading.local() to store values in the context
of a generator or an async task.  From the standpoint of the user,
they work with some sort of of a "global" variable.  To me, renaming
LC to ImplicitContext sounds similar to saying that using global
variables is implicit, or calling "global" scope "implicit".

Yury