[Python-Dev] PEP 550 v4

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Aug 28 12:43:35 EDT 2017

On 08/28/2017 09:12 AM, Yury Selivanov wrote:

> If we forget about dynamic scoping (I don't know why it's being brought up all the
> time, TBH; nobody uses it, almost no language implements it)

Probably because it's not lexical scoping, and possibly because it's possible for a function to be running with one EC
on one call, and a different EC on the next -- hence, the EC it's using is dynamically determined.

It seems to me the biggest difference between "true" dynamic scoping and what PEP 550 implements is the granularity:
i.e. not every single function gets it's own LC, just a select few: generators, async stuff, etc.

Am I right?  (No CS degree here.)  If not, what are the differences?

--
~Ethan~