[Python-Dev] PEPs: ``.. code:: python`` or ``::`` (syntax highlighting)

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 23:49:49 EST 2017

Add pygments for ``.. code::`` directive PEP syntax highlighting #1206
https://github.com/python/pythondotorg/issues/1206

Syntax highlighting is an advantage for writers, editors, and readers.

reStructuredText PEPs are rendered into HTML with docutils. Syntax
highlighting in Docutils 0.9+ is powered by Pygments. If Pygments is not
installed, or there is a syntax error, syntax highlighting is absent.
Docutils renders ``.. code::`` blocks with Python syntax highlighting by
default. You can specify ``.. code:: python`` or ``.. code:: python3``.

- GitHub shows Pygments syntax highlighting
for ``.. code::`` directives for .rst and .restructuredtext documents
- PEPs may eventually be hosted on ReadTheDocs with Sphinx (which installs
docutils and pygments as install_requires in setup.py).
  https://github.com/python/peps/issues/2
  https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/5

In order to use pygments with pythondotorg-hosted PEPs, a few things need
to happen:

- [ ] Include ``pygments`` in ``base-requirements.txt``
- [ ] Pick a pygments theme
  - Should we use the sphinx_rtd_theme default for consistency with the
eventual RTD-hosted PEPs?
- [ ] Include the necessary pygments CSS in the PEPs django template
- [ ] rebuild the PEPs
- Start using code directives in new PEPs
- Manually review existing PEPs after adding code directives

PEPs may use ``.. code::`` blocks instead of ``::`` so that code is syntax
highlighted.