[Python-Dev] iso8601 parsing

Paul Ganssle pganssle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:07:13 EST 2017

Here is the PR I've submitted:

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/4699

The contract that I'm supporting (and, I think it can be argued, the only reasonable contract in the intial implementation) is the following:

    dtstr = dt.isoformat(*args, **kwargs)
    dt_rt = datetime.fromisoformat(dtstr)
    assert dt_rt == dt                    # The two points represent the same absolute time
    assert dt_rt.replace(tzinfo=None) == dt.replace(tzinfo=None)   # And the same wall time

For all valid values of `dt`, `args` and `kwargs`.

A corollary of the `dt_rt == dt` invariant is that you can perfectly recreate the original `datetime` with the following additional step:

    dt_rt = dt_rt if dt.tzinfo is None else dt_rt.astimezone(dt.tzinfo)

There is no way for us to guarantee that `dt_rt.tzinfo == dt.tzinfo` or that `dt_rt.tzinfo is dt.tzinfo`, because `isoformat()` is slightly lossy (it loses the political zone), but this is not an issue because lossless round trips just require you to serialize the political zone, which is generally simple enough.